On average, how much time do you spend at your desk? For many, it’s somewhere between 40 to 50 hours a week or 7 to 8 hours a day. Now out of those hours, how many do you spend sitting? Even if it’s somewhere around three or five hours, the combined amount of time spent sitting on an uncomfortable chair can hurt your body, specifically your back and lead to other longer-term complications.
Now before we put all of the blame on your chair, let’s access your own habits when it comes to your posture.
How do you sit at work?
When you sit at work, you want to feel comfortable and supported. It’s easy to lean back into a chair and slouch and immediately think yes, this feels good! While it may feel good for a couple of minutes, you’ll eventually find that your neck will begin to ache and your shoulders might also feel a bit tense. And your arms, they might struggle to reach the keyboard. Here’s how your body should be while sitting on a chair:
- Your eyes should be leveled with your computer monitor and approximately 18 to 24 inches away from your eyes.
- Your back should be supported by the natural curvature of the backrest.
- Your arms should create a 90-degree angle with your wrists resting on a pad or the top of the desk.
- Your buttocks should be fully situated on the chair as far back as possible so that your back is touching the back support of the chair.
- Your feet should be flat on the floor or resting comfortably on a footrest.
In general, you want to make sure that things feel right for your body. Even the best chair can cause pain if we’re not using it correctly.
Office Chairs to Consider
Like we mentioned earlier, even if you’re only at your desk for a couple of hours, you need a chair that will give you ultimate comfort and ultimate support. We recommend one that is padded with memory foam—yes, memory foam—like the material inside beds. It will feel good on your back and your behind. Additionally, you want a chair with armrests. Even if you’re not resting your arms on them because let’s face it, you’re typing all day, you’ll feel more supported.
Here are other things to look for:
- Find a backrest that curves to the natural shape of your back.
- Adjust the seat so that your legs are touching the floor.
- Make sure the cushion isn’t too stiff or too soft but is firm and supports you.
- If your back pain persists, consider the care of a chiropractor as there could be other underlying issues.
Find Yours at Indoff Commercial Interiors
Ready to swap out your current chair for a much more comfortable one? At Indoff Commercial Interiors, we’ll help you find office chairs that suit your needs and the those of your team. We’re committed to ensuring your office has chairs that are both functional and pleasing to the eye.
Connect with us today to learn more!